There are just 0.5 hectares of Slarina vines at Tenuta Il Cascinone, grafted in June 2017. The rows face south-west at 350m altitude. After hand-harvesting in mid-September, 95% of the grapes are crushed, destemmed and transferred to stainless steel to begin fermentation, whilst the remaining 5% are left to dry in crates for 15 days. After alcoholic fermentation, the dried 5% is crushed, destemmed and added to the rest. Malolactic fermentation takes place in stainless steel. Then 75% is decanted into large barrels, and the remaining 25% into barriques, for 12 months.
A subtle, lifted nose of crushed red fruits and hints of wild herbs. Fresh and lively on the palate with nice purity of fruit, blackcurrant, forest fruits and sweet red cherry. Well structured with fine tannins and lightly spicy oak, fresh, delicate and sappy on the finish.
Grilled meat, charcuterie, can also pair with rich vegetable and lentil casseroles.